Friday, July 12, 2013

For The Love of Books

"Reading without thinking is as nothing, for a book is less important for what it says than for what it makes you think" 

Louis Lamour

Such a great week learning about reading. It is a state of mind rather than something we must do. How do we get our students to embrace reading? 
How do we move them to a place of delight and joy when they get to read a book?
What are we doing in the classroom to achieve this goal?
What kind of damage is being done to our children's relationship with reading when we force them to read so they can attempt to answer what some stranger believes is the correct inference for a given passage?
How do we, as teachers foster an environment in our school that promotes a life long love affair with books? 
I believe we have to look past the the results of a test. 
We must allow choice and risk. 
We must allow our students the freedom to explore and get lost within the pages of a story- just for the joy of being lost. 
I believe this is our ultimate goal... 

1 comment:

  1. I find my own reading suffers when it circles around too many assignments. I am longingly looking at my summer reading-for-fun books, while I complete reading assignments for the job. At some point, I need to make a date with myself to read for fun and enjoyment. Our students need that opportunity, too. This past year I practiced concepts from The Book Whisperer. We "stole reading time".

    ReplyDelete